Monday, January 5, 2009

paris + week 1

bon jour! manao ahoana! i figured i'd see how writing a blog goes, it's a bit easier than e-mail updates.

somehow i've already been out of the us for more than a week, it hardly seems possible. i had a nice, easy time in paris and hit all the major spots in an afternoon. it was horribly cold, but i made it and otherwise just relaxed. it wasn't long before i made it to sunny, 85+° antananarivo ("tana"), madagascar. it was a nice break from the snow in seattle and the cold in philly right before i left! tana is a pretty cool city, very green for a capitol. buildings are set in the hills, making for some great views. (see picture) this is the view out my hotel window. the lake is called lac anosy. i watched fireworks from my window over the lake on new year's eve.
despite my pretty poor sense of direction, i've finally gotten a hang of the main downtown area and make my way around ignoring the people who follow me and sell me stuff because i'm a "faza" (foreigner). unfortunately, there's a decent amount of begging and street kids, the poverty is pretty evident. i made the mistake of eating my sandwich as i walked by begging kids, and it was quite a difficult situation. the kids are well trained, they jump up at the sight of a faza and follow you only so far as they are told. walking by certain places enough times, I have begun to learn the patterns of the kids. the city's pretty safe though, even for me as a woman alone, so that has made things easier. i've had to use my very broken french a lot, but i'm starting classes or going to find a tutor asap. i also got my first lesson in malagasy the other day, which seems like a pretty cool language. i'm excited to learn that too. english definitely doesn't get me far here, so it's a good incentive to get moving so i can communicate, especially if i want to move out of the capitol and start working with disabilities. i'm living in a hotel now, but it's beginning to feel like a home. the girl who works there everyday during the day is named domoina and she's 23, so we get along well and she has helped me a great deal. she even had me to her house for lunch and is trying to help me with disability connections. i also have a friend of a friend of a friend here named narindra, and he's been extremely helpful to me too getting me acquainted with the city. i had dinner with his family the other night and they were very welcoming. i have met a few other people also who are helping me out, so it's been nice and i haven't felt too lost here. i've been looking into other places on the island to call home (meaning closer to the beach!) but i'm in tana til i get my visa extended for the year and get a better handle of french. but as i look back over the first week i can't complain. i feel like i've been very lucky with the people i've met. although at this point i have no idea what will come of this year, or even what will happen tomorrow, i'm confident things will work out. i like this challenge of getting my life oriented in a new place. but that's all for now i guess. au revoir! veloma!

5 comments:

  1. ok so thats just awesome how things are coming together so smoothly for you! Keep updating and try to get some videos, also i am gonna get you a list of things i would do in madagascar so you can try them out for me if you like....play with some monkeys and take some pictures of those crazy tall trees with the huge trunks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I think is so neat. I can't believe all you are doing. I'll be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome britt. thinking about you lot my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salut ma belle! Got your message; I'm rather broken up that I wasn't in the US and able to talk to you before you left! Good luck on your adventure, sounds like you're already doing quite a good job getting settled in! I'll be sure to e-mail when exams are over (no pressure to respond, of course) and will very much enjoy following your blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRITTT!!!! I am officially moved into Penn State Main...its a little hectic and HUGE compared to my life at berks but its good so far....no crazy cutter roommates atleast.....but anyhooo im enjoying youre crazy small world stories especially the sting one haha....keep the stories coming and say hi to some malagallies for me!

    ReplyDelete