Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Departure

i have finally confirmed that i will be spending the rest of my year in senegal! after a lot of research and conference calls and emails it's set-- i'm leaving this saturday morning and will be arriving in Dakar, Senegal where i will be pursuing my project to work with the disability community. i have been in contact with some ashoka fellows there already (social entrepreneurs with initiatives to help people with disabilities) and have some friends of friends there who want to help me out once i arrive. it seems like i'll have a LOT more infrastructure there than i did in madagascar, and it seems like i'll be able to jump right in to doing what i set out to do originally. they are also a former french colony so i'll be able to continue to build on french, and hopefully also pick up the local language, wolof. so i just have a few days to get myself all packed up again and i'll be back on a plane- ready for the next unpredictable (although hopefully less politically difficult) adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Brittany --

    I'm heartened to know you're safe! Weeks have quickly passed since I last corresponded with you via e-mail or viewed your Blog. So, I've thought about how you're doing as the coup and its aftermath worsened subsequent to my initial concerns as the violence erupted.

    You definitely seek out the most challenging opportunities to continue your mission to better the lives of persons with disabilities in foreign lands. Perhaps you can give everybody who cares about your safety a breather by trekking higher ground.

    Anyhow, I am happy for you that you quickly found a "friendlier" nation to continue your quest in for the next year. I know how much your personal experience to foster change to historically unserved/underserved people means to you. Much goodness and kindness to you in your journey.

    Peace,
    Girard

    ReplyDelete